We know how attached you are to your Patagonia down jacket. We also understand how scary it is to wash it. What if the material wears out? What if it loses its charm altogether? While all these fears are legit, we would like to inform you that following the right instructions for washing and care will help you avoid this problem. In this article, we will go into the details and help you with detailed Patagonia washing instructions.
How to Wash a Patagonia Down Jacket?
The jacket usually has washing instructions printed on the tag. They are easy to follow and will help you prolong your jacket’s life.
In general, we advise that you use mild laundry soap and either cold or warm water. Using hot water can prove to be fatal. Once you have these ready, you can follow the detailed instructions below:
- Lay your down jacket and zip it up. If it has hooks, hook it up.
- Gently place it in the washing machine
- Add technical wash depending on the instructions on the label of the bottle
- Since you are only washing your jacket, set the load size to small on your machine
- The water temperature must be cold
- The wash cycle must be gentle or normal
- Once it is washed, run the rinse cycle again
- Transfer the jacket to the dryer or line dry your jacket. The brand suggests line drying because it is easier.
In case you are using the washing machine’s dryer, here’s a tip that will help you:
Add a tennis ball to the dryer and set it at low heat and dry-cycle. The bouncing tennis ball will avoid clumping!
Things to remember
Even though the process is extremely easy, mistakes may happen. To avoid this, we have made a list of things you must remember while washing your down jacket.
- Check your jacket’s pockets before you tip it into the washing machine. Make sure they are empty!
- How much laundry detergent or technical wash you use depends on the type of detergent you buy. Read the label before choosing!
- You can dry the jacket twice on low heat to ensure complete drying. However, don’t ever increase the heat setting. High heat is very harmful.
- Wash your down jacket only when it is necessary. You don’t need to wash it every time you wear it. To remove dirt, you can just wipe it with a sponge.
- Front-load machines are better for down jackets.
- Turn your jacket inside out when line drying it.
- Try not using fabric softeners on your jacket. They may give you a soft feel but have the potential to ruin your jacket in the long run, such as impairing quick drying and not allowing odor control.
- If your jacket is stained, don’t dump it in the machine directly. Do some spot cleaning by dampening the stain and rubbing dishwashing detergent on it. After this, wash it with warm water and mild laundry soap.
We are sure you now understand that washing your Patagonia down jacket is no rocket science. It only needs a little extra attention. Since you will not wash the jacket frequently, you won’t have to worry about it either. Just take good care of it so that it doesn’t stain. Follow the instructions above, and everything will be fine. All the best!